Parenting is surely not a piece of cake as children need their parents, to be involved with them every second of their life, to help fulfill their basic needs of not only hunger and thirst but also of cognitive as well as socioeconomic development. Most of the times parents think that schooling is an answer to every problem of the growing kids because once they start school they will be all disciplined, well-mannered and on the track of success just by attaining their schools. However, this is only a partial truth for the reason that if a child does not receive good quality care and lagged behind the pre-academic skills in early childhood, he is very likely to fail in achieving the academic success (Ramey, Campbell, Burchinal, 1999).
Good quality care and pre-academic skills includes making a child familiar with small words, numbers, letters, colors and school environment so that when child enters in kindergarten, he or she does not feel misfit or at a place which feels strangely new. You can easily make your child learn these things by the help of these simple tips.
- Initiate Learning with Fun
Children usually get bored of certain activities easily and don’t fancy the things that seem fun-less so making them learn something is a bit tricky however you can do that by turning anything into an interesting game so;
- Ask them to count the objects in the surroundings like dogs while going to the park, swings in the park, members in the family, fruits in the basket or furniture around the house thus, they will learn to count easily.
- Making them learn the colors can be fun too. Repeat the names of colors while talking to them like ‘Let’s eat the red apples’ or ‘My baby is going to wear pink frock today’. Keep repeating this trick and you will see how the child has learned all the colors before going to school.
- Read them bedtime poems or stories from colorful books to make them learn different words in order to enhance their vocabulary.
- Be Patient
Remember that it takes time for a child to learn something new and to alter the new information in his existing schema so if a child commit mistakes in counting or naming the colors, don’t get angry, keep encouraging the child and keep practicing until the learning strengthens. Also don’t forget to reward the child when he learned something new, even if the reward is as little as a kiss.
- Work on the Social Skills of Your Children
Fulfilling the socio-emotional needs of children is also very important or otherwise the child will face serious problems in making friendships and socialize with other fellows or teachers later in school. A good way to enhance the social skills of children is to encourage them to express themselves. Therefore, listen to the child carefully even when you have to do some important piece of work but your kid wants to tell you his vague dream. Make your child realize that whatever he’d say is very important and meaningful so that he would be able to report his needs in front of his teachers or fellows in school or trust you enough to report any problem he’d face in school.